Thursday, January 22, 2009

Jan 22nd

I am honestly feeling a little confused about assignment 1.6 in the book. I tried to sit in a social gathering place and write down what I see and hear yet leave out any reactions. I have posted two accounts, but to me they seem to be missing something. Like skill maybe. I tried to do what the assignment said, but I still feel uneasy about it. I do not quite understand what the assignment and Chidsey want. I am just glad that no one else has to see my horrible retelling of events besides the teacher. I can admit I am lost.

I read pg 26-34 last night and then pg 109-120. It struck me that this book actually recommended something other than what we were taught in high school about thesis statements. It actually made me feel better because I could never do it the way they taught me in high school. They do push you to find a thesis statement pronto, and that it needs to be asserted into a one sentence claim. I could never accomplish that aspect either. I like the idea of a thesis "Trail" because it makes much more sense.

I try to use words like interesting, strange, significant when describing something rather than the judgement reflex words. I did not know that these words could be used as prompts for analyzing something. When I think about it it definetly works.

How to read: Words matter was very helpful. I often read something and have no earthly idea what in the world the writer is trying to convey. The three components may benefit understanding these pieces difficult to understand. My problem, is even with the three components I am still confused about certain peices.

Lastly, after reading the cell phone article, I highlighted several points that made sense to me and seemed correct in Rosen's point of view. Here is the list:

1. Connection has served as a potent sign of power over a long amount of time.
2. Cell phones offer convience to people.
3. "The percieved need for a technological safety device can encourage distinctly irrattional behavior and create new anxieties."
4. "We have become thigmophilic with our technology."
5. Technology has led to more invasion of privacy (including camera phones).
6. "Cell phone technology itself has disrupted our ability to insist on the enforcement of social rules."
7. We use cell phones to show those around us our status in the world.
8. "Cell phones give all of us the unusual ability to similate an entourage."
9. "Like a security blanket, which is also visible to observers, cell phones provide the "publicization' of emotional fulfillment."
10. Cell phones may be the key to our purpose and status symbol and without it we are lost.

There are many more statements that caught my attention. I liked what the sociologist Goffman had to say. It is strange that he spoke of this kind of thing before cell phones were even made. I think if he could have lived today he would have much more to say about cell phones affect on society.

The comparison of cell phone users to smokers I found absolutely hilarious. It would be even more hilarious if it were to actually happen. Time will surely tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment