Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Jan 21st

I completed my first assigned reading yesterday from Writing Analytically by David Rosenwasser. I benefited from several topics mentioned in the reading. I know in class we did not really discuss free writing. But I have found in the past for this to be helpful for me. The forms of free writing seemed to be good advice for people who have trouble thinking of something to write about, and sometimes in the process thinking too hard on it. And oddly enough one of them was journal entry or blogging like we are required to do this semester. The counterproductive habits of mind intrigued me mainly because I like psychology and I see a major connection. The main being that we humans have habits of thinking in certain ways, and that many times these ways of thinking are flawed. Just as generalizing, over personalizing, and opinion vs. ideas are all flaws in thinking that we are prone to do when trying to think analytically. The Idea section was very helpful. I liked the way the author gave a list of what an idea is and where it can be found. My favorite possible definition was: "An idea may be the discovery of a question where there seemed not to be one".

No comments:

Post a Comment